Luffa (Loofa) Seed Planting Instructions
Celebrating Earth Day on April 22 with Shangri-La Springs!
- Luffa is a vining plant that requires a trellis structure like a fence, arbor, wall or even a tree, for support. Keep in mind, if you use a tree as support for the plant, it should be a sturdy one, like an oak tree, to support the Luffa’s fruit that can mature to weigh 5lbs. each.
- When choosing the location for your seeds, keep in mind that Luffa are sensitive to the cold, require a lot of water and direct sunlight and 8” – 12” of space.
- Plants can grow in patricidal sunlight as long as the space allows the vines ample space to move toward sunlight.
- In Florida, planting is recommended in the spring and early summer
- Planting depth from seed: ½” – ¾”
- Germination: germinates in 70 – 80 degrees and may take 10-21 days to germinate
- pH needs: 6.0 – 6.8
- Soil: Luffa require fertile soil and sufficient moisture, especially during fruit development